Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Going to the Vet

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: A Dog's Life
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Free digital scrapbooking design created with Smilebox

In the month of December I noticed that Paco had these lumps that were almost the size of marbles in his throat.  I knew this couldn't be good.  Week after week went by and they weren't getting any smaller so, I told Cody that it was time to get them checked out at the Vet.  I made an appointment in January and before I took him, I wanted to look online to see if maybe I could get a heads up of what the Vet might tell me.  I typed in "Swollen Lymph Nodes in Canines" and was directed to a bunch of sites that told me things like "Lymphoma" and "Malignant Lymphocytes"  I couldn't believe it! I didn't want to believe it!  My worse fear was confirmed when I took Paco in and the Vet said the word.... "Cancer".  I just stood there hugging and squeezing Paco tight trying to hold in the tears as the Vet continued to tell me that Paco had a Heart Murmur and had other masses in his chest and hind legs.  I already knew that Paco had arthritis pretty bad in his hind legs and was partially deaf.  I even knew he had a cataracts problem in his eyes.  But Cancer?  Heart Murmur?  No.  My poor little buddy.  I didn't know what to do?  I asked the Vet if he was uncomfortable or in any pain and he did tell me that his arthritis is probably hurting more than anything.  He asked if I wanted to do tests and start treating the cancer (chemo) but economically speaking, he told me it would only keep him alive for another 8-12 months and would he would be sick the whole time.  Other options were to just make him comfortable for what time he did have which was a measly 4-8 months.  They gave me a Rx for him to take morning and night, Prednisone (steroid) and an antibiotic and sent us on our way.  Considering what I just heard... Cancer... 4-8 months.... I was holding it together pretty well until, I called Cody.  I could barely talk.  Niagara Falls... and it fell!!  As the next couple of days went by with Paco on his meds, it was extremely hard to see him so lethargic and breathing so heavy.  Paco was always one to climb under the covers and snuggle up next to you.  But now, he won't even lay next to me because he gets too hot.  He'll go downstairs where it's cooler and sleep by himself.  He has lost so much weight but has an appetite like a cow!! He will eat everything and anything in his path and he gets so thirsty all the time which is a side effect from the medication.  It's been 2 months and he is doing pretty good for all he has and how old he his, which is 12 by the way.  He is still my best friend in the whole world and I'm going to be SO lost when it's time for him to go to the "All You Can Eat Steak Buffet In The Sky".  Here's to Paco. Love ya Buddy!!

No comments: